Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Day in the Life...

BDBH does all it can to help dogs in need. Of course, we cannot help them all.

So many things are happening that make it even harder to help. The economy making it difficult for people to keep the pets they love, the heartworm medicine unavailability now, and then the usual people disposing of pets just because. 

To help people understand, we are going to post some of the pleas received by rescue in just one day. Please consider volunteering for your local rescue or shelter, please help to educate people about unwanted litters and giving dogs to unknown people and help your friends, family and neighbors be the pet owners that their pets need them to be.


Hi all,
Need urgent help please.....
My pal Kathy was asked to take a dog (large black Lab-Shep mix best guess, she looks like a pretty  black German Shepherd) from a local who has already lost several dogs to getting hit by cars, or attacked by their aggressive Pit Bull. They have several dogs and cats, all un-vetted, all loose outside. Long story short, this sweet girl had a litter last year and the Pit Bull killed all of the pups. Now, she is ready to drop a litter any time. They decided they didn't want to deal with her and the pups, especially since the Pit Bull has recently attacked her and caused a leg injury all while she is preggo, so they dumped her on redacted since they knew she'd take her, she has a big soft heart. However, redacted works 3 jobs, and cannot take this on, so I told her I'd do all I could to help her find rescue. I tried calling xxxx with redacted Shelter. A volunteer answered & said they'd have her call me back as she was just out for a moment, but I still have not heard from her. There is sweet male Shepherd mix there, and the two seemed very bonded and we were told that they are always together, so it is likely that he is the Dad and that they will be pretty Lab-Shep pups, easy adopters.
I have not been very well, ... so sadly,  I cannot take this dog on myself either. ... she seems to be a very sweet dog, and she allowed me to pet her all over, and examine her leg injury which is very worrisome! She really needs to see a vet ASAP. She has flea bite dermatitis and hair loss from the fleas and ticks, and bad ear tip inflammation from fly bites. All in all, she seems to have a nice and gentle temperament especially considering all she has been through. She has been around many dogs and cats and kids, as they have those in abundance at this home she came from.
Is there any chance that someone could take on a large dog ready to whelp? He belly is pretty  large, who knows how many are in there. I estimate she will have them anytime now, but surely within a week. She has been through a really horrid, neglected life, she truly deserves a better one from now on. Kathy can bring her to whomever can take her.
Help??
Please let me know ASAP, thank you.
Regards,
--------
We have a wonderful Beagle named Jasper that is also not doing very well.  Any chance they might foster him.  He's is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met.  Actually think he would make a wonderful therapy dog.  He is very calm and sweet not the typical crazy barking beagle.  Let me know if they would consider this sweet boy.
--------


This is an extremely high kill facility. I think the pull fee is $20.

These two dogs are in need of rescue. They are located at the xxxx shelter.
If you can not help please forward this email. Call Art or John if you would like to know more. 


------
Hello,
Please meet GRETCHEN, she is just 8 months, Rotti-Shep Mix, SPONSORED, friendly, cuuuuute as can be, and is MEDICAL RED ALERT at XXX shelter.  Her back foot was broken, she was at an emergency hospital and then came to the shelter.   The shelter cannot properly care for her foot, I believe they can only give her pain killers, and the shelter is VERY crowded now.... GRETCHEN NEEDS A RESCUE or a HOME NOW !!!  Will you please consider GRETCHEN for rescue or adoption?

NAME: Gretchen
BREED: Rotti / Shep
SEX: Female
EST. AGE: 8 months
EST. WEIGHT: 45 lbs
HEALTH: Has a broken back foot L
TEMPERAMENT: Friendly
ADDITIONAL INFO: Brought in from the emergency clinic
RESCUE PULL FEE: $SPONSORED  (The $65 fee for dogs includes spay/neuter, microchip, de-worm, DHLPP/Rabies vaccs, Heartworm test (4 months old+) and flea treatment. The price is the same for puppies.)
AVAILABLE DATE: Now
UPDATE: space is limited!!!

THANK YOU for any help you can give to saving sweet GRETCHEN's young life!
------
Dear Big Dogs Big hearts,
A friend told me about your organization yesterday and I was wondering if maybe you could help. I rescued Sophie yesterday from being euthanized. I work at a vets office. Apparently her owners were moving and couldnt take her where they were going. Unfourtunatley their solution was to have her put down. I walked into work just as they were about to put her catheter in. I couldnt let this happen so I asked the owners to relinquish ownership to me and I took her home. She is a sweet dog and really needs to find a good home. I myself can not keep her because I live in an appartment and already have one dog. I just wanted to give her a chance to find a home. Sophie is a 9yr old mix. The owners said they thought she had Akita in her but weren't sure of the rest. I assume Chow as well because of her tongue. So far she has adjusted to the change well. She gets along with my dog and with all humans she meets. She met my cat this morning, who is not a fan of new animals, my cat hissed and Sophie sniffed and walked away. She was great in the car, is house broken, and so far seems well trained. If I had the space I would keep her myself. I would much rather see her go to a home for foster than to a shelter where, given her age, she might not have a chance. I may not have a choice in a few days though. Please let me know if there is anything you can do to help. Even if its just names of other organizations that I could contact that would be very helpful.
Thanks so much,


------
ATTENTION ALL RESCUERS: GSD DOGS IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE HELP!!!!
THESE DOGS ARE EXTREMELY URGENT RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE FACING EUTHANASIA UNLESS A RESCUE COMMITMENT COMES BY FRIDAY AUGUST 19TH!!!!  BELOW IS A DESCRIPTION OF EACH DOG AND I AM ALSO INCLUDING PHOTOS. PLEASE CROSS-POST TO ALL REPUTABLE GSD/ALL-BREED RESCUERS.
MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE TRANSPORT WILL BE HANDLED ON OUR END DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE RESCUE(S)!!!!  EACH DOG BOTH COMES WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF FOOD/TREATS TO HELP WITH THEIR CARE!!!!!


IF YOU HAVE INTEREST IN HELPING ONE OF THESE SWEET DOGS, PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP!

1. Mia
Around 7 years old (doesn’t act like still very playful)
Knows sit, stay and come
No problems with handling
No guarding noticed with dry/wet food or rawhide
LOVES LOVES LOVES tennis balls, will bring the ball right back to you to play fetch
A little shy with new people but warms up quickly and then is very sweet and loving!!!
Friendly with other dogs, has lived with them before and done well with them here at the shelter
Very sweet and gentle soul
***She has some pretty severe skin issues that will definitely need addressed. I am being told she will most likely be headed for euthanasia because of her skin issues since we are so overwhelmed right now:-( She is heartworm negative and current on vaccines and Revolution. To our knowledge, not yet spayed.


2. Gertrude (aka Gerddy):
Vet aged 3-5 yrs old
Shy with some new people but warms up quickly, then becomes very playful and affectionate.
Likes tennis balls
No problems with handling
No guarding noted with dry, wet or rawhide
Seems good with other dogs after a bit of time but shy at first.  Has good potential to become playful (was not forward or rude)
***Has a somewhat severe leg issue, most likely due to the horrible long-term neglect she suffered in her previous home.  She was housed in a very small cage with little or no exercise for many many months and it certainly has taken quite a toll on her health.  You can get a glimpse of this in the 2nd picture of her. Unsure if spayed yet or not. Heartworm negative, current on vaccines and Revolution. 

***BOTH OF THESE DOGS WILL REQUIRE CONSIDERABLE MEDICAL CARE SO PLEASE TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION.  A SWEETER COUPLE OF DOGS YOU WILL STRUGGLE TO FIND.  PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTION AT ALL ABOUT THESE GIRLS AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO GET YOU ANSWERS!!  

------

Have you seen this one?
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20450652

I  saw her on their latest general plea and just confirmed with Julia that she's still in needl. I can do any eval or temp hold as necessary if you're interested.

--------
Animal Control babies need out:
Andy is a young Shepherd-mix.  3 Dogs are a Terrier-mix, a Retreiver-mix and a tan mixed breed.  Bessie and Tessie are adorable Lab-mix puppies about three months old.  Bobo is a nice Beagle.  Felix is a cute black and tan Chihuahua-mix.  Fuzzy is an adorable Collie-mix puppy about three months old.  Skippy is a chestnut colored Chesapeake Retreiver-mix.  Snowy is a nice white Terrier with black spots.  These and other dogs are available at the shelter.

Thanks Jane



-------

My name is Misty I am the assistant manager at the Shelter .  Currently at my shelter I have a 3-4 year old spayed Husky/German Shephard cross.  She is super sweet and lovable.  She doesn't like cats (of course) but is great with everything else.  Our shelter is completely full and I am desperately trying to save this precious angel.  I was wondering if there is any way you could help.  Pictures are attached.  If you have any questions please call  Monday through Saturday 10am to 2pm or you can reply to this email.
 ----
Pleas always come from this shelter: http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/Police/AnimalWelfareandEnforcementNew/AvailableDogs and it's a nicer one, but so far away and dogs are almost always heartworm positive. BDBH's Keena and Luka came from there. 
There are many shelters with long lists similar to these. Many emails received every day for dogs that are in need. Sadly, for cats it is even worse.

We hope that sharing this with you helps you to understand what is out there and how we try to help. Here are some things YOU can do to help, too! 100 ways to help

No comments:

Post a Comment